s you may already have noticed, I take silly holidays extremely seriously. I figure there’s enough going on that’s scary and stressful, we should choose to celebrate even small moments of joy.
A holiday celebrating nail polish? Yes, please!
For that reason, I fully intend to celebrate National Nail Polish Day in a big way and that way involves neon nails.
Much as I love dark brooding nail polish, this time of year I’m all about endless pops of color…at least on my nails, that is.
If you’re looking for a way to brighten your day, a cute mani is an easy and almost instantaneous mood boost.
And since I’m a fan of all things ’80s, I’m a little bit thrilled to see neon trending again. In moderation, neon is tons of fun and an easy way to add color to any outfit.
And by any outfit I mean the basic black frequently favored by this native New Yorker.
But on to the NEON nail polish!
Orly’s new Summer collection, Electric Escape, is all about the bright and so so close to being neon I’m almost sure it counts. I also admire the company’s ethos which includes a commitment to vegan, cruelty-free, products made without harmful ingredients in Los Angeles. As a family-run business, they have to manage their own traditions and history along with continually creating category makers. (I’m also doing a great big nail polish roundup for Reader’s Digest, so you’ll find nail art tips from celebrity nail artist Brittney Boyce who creates the most amazing press on nails with trendy details at Nails of LA).
Need I tell you just how obsessed I am with Deborah Lippman True Colors collection which is inspired by the ’80s?
The collection includes colors named after hit songs from the 1980s in gorgeous bright shades:
- Never Gonna Give You Up –Full coverage fuchsia crème
- Candle in the Wind – Full coverage pink punch crème
- Don’t You Want Me – Full coverage nectarine crème
- Karma Kameleon – Full coverage minty green crème
- Break My Stride – Full coverage true cyan crème
- Dancing With Myself – Full coverage periwinkle purple creme
If you’re not a fan of polishing your nails but still love the look of a fresh mani, you should check out Color Street’s new neon collection. They’re incredibly easy to use nail stickers which means you can add accent nails and designs with barely any effort.
- Supercharged a vivid neon purple shade
- Shockwave neon power pink.
- High Voltage sizzling electric neon orange.
- Kilowatt an electrifying livewire neon green.
- Check Yourself Not neon, but celebrating the ’80s vibe of Van skate shoes and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, this transparent set features a classic checkerboard pattern.
And, I’m off to do my nails!